We Must Not Forget to Care
It's Disability Pride Month, but how many people actually care about it or those within the disability community who struggle daily just to be seen, treated, and loved as human beings?
The world is full of indifference and many suffer because society as a whole has forgotten how to care!
I believe the whole concept of Pride is to bring attention to struggles faced by a marginalized community in hopes of inviting positive changes, so I am speaking about the grief I feel over indifference.
Motivated by the grief I felt over the world's lack of care for one another and the many personal experiences that I have endured with my social disabilities, I wrote an essay titled 'Star Trek Teaches That We Must Not Forget to Care.'
It was published in the Fall 2021 Issue of Star Trek: Quarterly.
Anyone who is interested in reading it can find it here: https://startrekquarterly.wordpress.com/2021/09/27/fall-2021/
I also had it published on Treksphere.com in December 2021, as I believe that the message is so important that I could not let it be in just one place.
The essay on Treksphere.com is expanded beyond the original because I felt there were additional things I needed to add and I also included resources to mental health helps, as caring includes providing access to help.
Link to Essay: https://treksphere.com/star-trek-teaches-that-we-must-not-forget-to-care/
I also wrote poems titled 'Far Beyond The Stars Is Where IDIC Resides' and 'Indifference Darkens The Universe' that were published in Star Trek Quarterly and the poems can be found right after the essay.
I also made a video titled 'We Must Not Forget To Care' and spoke deeply about the essays.Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xItygNML-KI
I invite you all to read the essays and the poems and watch the video and learn what you can from them. Both have lots to teach everyone who has an open mind.
Comments
Post a Comment