Tolerance Is Not Love
Tolerance Is Not Love
written by Heather Leigh Cameron
It's Disability Pride Month and I believe the whole concept of Pride is to bring attention to struggles faced by a marginalized community in hopes of inviting positive changes.
A struggle that I strongly believe is that people with disabilities often mistake tolerance for love and think that people tolerating them means that love exists. I also strongly believe that people without disabilities tend to believe that it is good enough to simply tolerate someone who is different rather than put in the work to learn to love them.
Tolerance is nothing more than a hot mess based on fear that can cause chaos and hurt while love is patient, kind, and meant to encourage growth and happiness.
There is and will always be a difference between tolerance and love.
Even in the era of Star Trek, where Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations is supposed to be wholeheartedly embraced, living beings still struggle to understand that there is a difference between tolerance and love.
I actually explore this in an essay I wrote for Treksphere.com in 2022 that is titled 'Tolerance Is Not Love.' In the essay, I look at different situations in Star Trek in which neurotypical characters resort to methods of intolerance in dealing with Neurodivergent characters rather than learning to adapt to who they are to the point of seeing the good in them. Specifically, I look at how Geordi LaForge addressed Reginald Barclay in Star Trek: The Next Generation and how Miles O'Brien originally addressed Julian Bashir in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I also look at their circumstances and how those circumstances impacted their behavior. On top of that, I also explore the concept of tolerance within the Star Trek shows/fandom and how tolerance is not love.
'Tolerance Is Not Love' can be found here: https://treksphere.com/diversity-in-trek-tolerance-is-not-love/
I've tried to get other Star Trek publications to take it, but my request was unheard, so I work to bring it to the attention of the Star Trek fandom every so often because I feel the message is very important, but is sadly very forgotten as the world evolves into a troubling state.
I also made a film titled 'Tolerance Is Not Love' that discusses the essay and extended thoughts.
The film can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pis1qImvbBY&list=PLed13I-uvUnI4HSLR8l5dtnVUOdRBO7UR&index=8&t=9s
I feel as if this topic is very much worth exploring because people really don't take the time to consider such an intense social topic and I invite all to explore, enjoy, and become educated by the essay and the video.
Comments
Post a Comment