IDIC Includes Me - The Essay

IDIC Includes Me

written by Heather Leigh Cameron

It's Disability Pride Month and I believe whole concept of Pride is to bring attention to struggles faced by a marginalized community in hopes of inviting positive changes.

I am a person with neurodevelopmental disabilities, specifically ADHD and Non-Verbal Learning Disorder, which is on the autism spectrum. I am working towards bringing to life awareness about who I am and how I am so others can come to understand that I too am worthy of inclusion in the realm of happiness that others seek so valiantly. My awareness campaign includes writing many essays.

In February 2021, I had an essay published on Star Trek's website in February 2021 titled 'IDIC Includes Me And That's Why Star Trek Matters.' 

It talks about experiences I have had as a Neurodivergent individual.

The idea for this essay came to life in late 2020 after I encountered difficulties trying to find a virtual space where my neurodivergent self could be embraced. 

I wanted to show the world the challenges I had being me and I wanted to also send the message that Star Trek embraces people like me, that Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations includes me and that I am among friends when I am in the world of Star Trek. I ended up pitching it to Star Trek/CBS in October 2020 and it was ultimately published on February 22, 2021.

The essay can be read here: https://www.startrek.com/en-ca/news/idic-includes-me-and-thats-why-star-trek-matters?fbclid=IwY2xjawS2DfpleHRuA2FlbQIxMABicmlkETF4RktOYzZoazJZMTlId1lkc3J0YwZhcHBfaWQQMjIyMDM5MTc4ODIwMDg5MgABHp_WpaqID8GUI61OJi6MO8lLPYf719hM7hyywReIJbETvwL2bC_ntJUn5ZhV_aem_I3yXnuwKCyKrjCAzGyrUoA

I also made a short film to discuss the essay, titled 'IDIC Includes Me,' which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOKxWI4enY

I invite you all to read the essay and watch the video and learn what you can from them. Both have lots to teach everyone who has an open mind.

This essay inspired me to write future essays about my life as a neurodivergent individual and it also inspired me to create a short-lived diversity club called Club IDIC. 

I truly believe in the message that IDIC includes me even if the ever-changing world has a different opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IDIC Includes Me...Or Does It?

The Dark Side of Disability Pride